If you want to start a walking group in your local area, you’ve come to the right place.
All groups start with a leader and we call our walking leaders Walk Organisers.
Our volunteer Walk Organisers are the reason Heart Foundation Walking has helped so many Australians stay active and take better care of their heart health – they are the glue that holds our walking groups together.
Walk Organisers are supported in their role by Local Coordinators – someone who works in the local council or community and supports Heart Foundation Walking.
Take the first steps
To set up a Heart Foundation Walking group, one group member needs to become a volunteer Walk Organiser. As a Walk Organiser you’ll help keep your group walking – and we’ll support you with training and resources.
What do you need to start a group?
- A love of walking!
- One or more group members
- A Local Coordinator –. When you start your Walk Organiser registration, you’ll be asked to choose the name of your closest Local Coordinator from an up-to-date list. Don’t worry if you don’t know this person. If no coordinator is listed, please call 13 11 12.
- Completion of our online training.
A Walk Organiser:
- attends walks and welcomes new walkers to the group (if the group is made public on our website, new walkers will be able to join)
- decides the route, times and days for the walks
- promotes the group(s) and walks (you will receive posters, flyers and other support)
- keeps the walking group and walkers contact details up-to-date (so we can let new walkers know how to find out about your group)
- submits monthly attendance records so that walkers can be rewarded for their achievements
- keeps us up-to-date with stories and photos of the walking group in action!
We’ll help you to:
- access your online profile and manage your walking group online
- get trained and ready for the role: training is all online and a certificate of completion is provided at the end
- feel acknowledged: all our Walk Organisers receive a free Heart Foundation shirt, drink bottle and name tag – it’s our way of saying thanks!
- reward group members: you and your group will be able to join the Walker Recognition Scheme which includes certificates, merchandise and a monthly prize draw for every active walker.
- promote your group: you will receive posters and flyers in your welcome pack as well as access to more than twenty electronic templates that you can use to advertise your group in your area.
- learn more about walking with free Annual Workshops, regular newsletters and emails.
- have insurance cover: all registered Walk Organisers are covered by the Heart Foundation’s Policy for volunteer Walk Organisers which includes insurance cover.
Register online and start your walking group today!
Does your organisation want to get your community walking? Become a Host Organisation for Heart Foundation Walking! Click here for more information.