Become a Host Organisation
Is your organisation looking to set up walking groups?
Heart Foundation Walking can help you to set up and maintain walking groups in your local community. Host Organisations and their nominated Local Coordinators come from a variety of organisations such as health and community centres, councils and workplaces, and are a vital part of Heart Foundation Walking. Local Coordinators receive training, ongoing assistance, support and resources.
To receive additional information please email us, or download the Introduction to Heart Foundation Walking or Walking@Work information pack:
Register here to join today!
Please note, there is a one-off fee for new Host Organisations. This helps the Heart Foundation cover some of the costs of the many program resources provided. The fee varies and depends on the size and nature of your organisation.
Become a volunteer Walk Organiser
Being a volunteer Walk Organiser is fun and easy – you only need one other walker to start a group and it should only take 5 minutes on top of the time actually spent walking. You will also receive great support and resources.
Our volunteer Walk Organisers are the reason Heart Foundation Walking has helped so many Australians stay active and take better care of their heart health – they are the glue that holds our walking groups together.
What support will I receive from the Heart Foundation?
Access to your own online profile
If you have access to the internet you will be able to enter via the Heart Foundation Walking web site, your very own password protected profile with the ability to manage your walking group.
Walk Organiser training
A short online training session about your role can be accessed online once you become registered or if you prefer it can be provided by your Local Coordinator. A certificate of completion is provided at the end. To find your nearest Local Coordinator, click here.
All our Walk Organisers receive a free Heart Foundation Walking shirt, drink bottle and name tag – it’s our way of saying thanks! Regular newsletters are also sent to all participants.
Walker Recognition Scheme
All Walk Organisers are able to join the Walker Recognition Scheme which includes certificates, merchandise and a monthly prize draw for every active walker.
Help advertising your group
You will receive posters and flyers in your welcome pack as well as access to more than 20 electronic templates that you can use to advertise your group in your area.
Free Annual Workshops
Each year every State and Territory will receive an invitation to a workshop for Walk Organisers and Local Coordinators.
All registered Walk Organisers are covered by the Heart Foundation’s Policy for volunteer Walk Organisers which includes insurance cover.
- Attend walks and welcome new walkers
- Be safe when walking and arrive for walks on time
- Promote your walks (you will receive posters, flyers and other support)
- Keep your walking group and contact details up-to-date (so we can let new walkers know how to find out about your group)
- Submit monthly attendance records
- We are always happy to receive stories and photos of your walking group in action! Simply email us your photos.
Becoming a volunteer Walk Organiser in six easy steps :
- Find your nearest Local Coordinator
- Complete the Walk Organiser registration process by completing the online form.
- Decide where and when the group will walk. You will find some great tips in the Walk Organiser Kit.
- Read the Walk Organiser Handbook and complete training online or with your Local Coordinator.
- Promote your walking group using the promotional resources provided.
- Provide walkers with a Heart Foundation Walking Walker’s Kit, and encourage them to register online at http://walking.heartfoundation.org.au/
Register online and start your walking group today!